Inspiration stones

Inspiration stones

Friday, December 2, 2011

VINO! Seven Sisters Pinotage/Shiraz amazing

My wonderful sister, Boog, bought me a wine of the month program for my birthday.  Being somewhat of a wine aficionado, I was of course very pleased with the gift and excited to see what was sent my way.  The first few bottles I received were great but I was particularly intrigued by one red, Seven Sisters, Pinotage/Shiraz blend from South Africa. I immediately began a search to find this wine at my local stores, which unfortunately I was unsuccessful with. Next step, online, success!  Well, sort of.  They do not ship to my state, can you believe that?!  Luckily for me, I was heading to visit my sister soon and they shipped to her state, so I purchased a case and had them send it to her :-)

Now about the wine - it is smooth yet has enough character to stand up to a pasta dish or steak.  It is very easy drinking, with dark fruit flavors and a hint of spice.  Oh and it is 14% alcohol, no big deal.  My goal in life, with regards to wine, is to find inexpensive bottles (under $15), that are easy drinking and pair with just about anything or nothing ;-)  This one hits all of those points.  When you purchase a case, most retailers will offer you a discount off your total purchase.  Therefore, including shipping costs into the equation, this wine still came in at under $15/bottle.  We enjoyed some for Thanksgiving dinner, while snacking on cheese, and on its own and it tasted great in every situation.

Notice the color creeping down the cork
Notice the difference between the two corks
One note is that it is a screw top, so there is no threat of it becoming 'corked'.  Corked wine occurs when air mixes with the wine and the result is a disgusting vinegar tasting beverage.  One key to look for to see if the wine may be corked is when you (or the waiter) removes the cork, see if any liquid has escaped down the length of the cork.




 
  This blog is making me very thirsty...Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment