Inspiration stones

Inspiration stones

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Slow cooker spaghetti (GF - spaghetti squash)

During my first year being gluten free I felt that I may never be able to enjoy some of life's delicious meals, one being spaghetti.  Luckily for me and all those who are also GF or who enjoy veggies, there is spaghetti squash.  When I first heard about this crazy squash I was very confused as to how a squash could make spaghetti but with the help of my amazing sister, Boog, I quickly became a believer.  We bought a squash and started on our adventure.

This is my favorite spaghetti squash recipe thus far!  Even if you are not GF, this rendition of spaghetti will not leave you feeling bloated and weighted down after you eat dinner.

Here's a link to my blog on how to cook spaghetti squash: http://anyafaye.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash.html

One thing to keep in mind, if you like chunky sauce, chop ingredients roughly and use diced tomatoes, if you like a smoother sauce use crushed tomatoes and chop ingredients finely.



Ingredients:
1 pound sausage, browned, I use ground chicken sausage

1 T olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I usually use 15-20 cloves)
1 (28 oz or two small) can tomatoes, crushed or diced depending on your style
1/2 cup red wine, optional
1 T Italian seasoning (or 1 t thyme, 1 t basil, 1 t oregano)
1 t crushed red pepper flakes, optional
salt and pepper to taste
Spaghetti squash
Parmesan cheese, optional

Method:
Pour tomatoes into slow cooker with carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic, and seasonings.  Warm the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat add the sausage and stir to brown.  Add the red wine.  Cook for about 5 minutes total and add to slow cooker.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Spoon over spaghetti squash, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and ENJOY!!






No comments:

Post a Comment